Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What We Are Supposed To Do

A recent article in FOXNews.com is going to cause some people to stop in their tracks and say "what the?"


In the article, the Arizona Latino Republican Association has come out in support of Arizona and Senate Bill 1070 and made itself a defendant in the Department of Justice's lawsuit against the state of Arizona.

Most people are thinking "Are they out of their minds?"


Their actions go to show that there are some Hispanic groups who are willing to stand up for what they believe in without being scared of going against the norm. We have been talking about this in El Paso for a couple months now and have only heard why we shouldn't stand up for laws like SB 1070 or stand up in support of Legal Immigration. We have been told that it would only offend people and scare off the Latino/Hispanic vote that the Republican Party needs.

I am glad to see the ALRA has done what they did. They are standing up for SB 1070 because they believe we need to protect ourselves by securing our borders while still supporting legal immigration and did not go against SB 1070 simply because they are Hispanic. They did not go along with the idea, a misconception by many across the country, that as Hispanics you are "supposed" to be against laws like SB 1070. They are a courageous group who put the safety of our country first.

I hate it when people tell me I'm "supposed" to be against this or for that. It really bothers me when people say I'm "supposed" to think a certain way, or talk a certain way or dress a certain way because of my heritage. If my father doesn't tell me what I'm "supposed" to do, what gives anybody else the right to? Telling me that I am "supposed" to be anything is only contributing to the stereotyping and to the racism that has our country split into many pieces and is only made worse when its somebody from the same ethnic background who says you are "supposed" to. Are they doing anything to help fight racism or are they only adding fuel to the fire?

I think we should follow suit and take a more aggressive stance on this issue. As Latinos we are human beings just like everyone else. We have the right to think on our own like everyone else and not be pigeon holed into something we are not. Latino or not, I believe you should follow your heart, decide what you believe in and not allow the media or anyone else to tell you what you are "supposed" to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.