Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Not Brown Enough

How many times have you found yourself defending the pigment of your skin because of your political affiliation?

Why should you have to justify it to anyone?

Some of you know me as a radio personality on TheLionStarLive on KHRO 1150 AM where I have been accused of not being a "real Mexican" because I am a Republican.


I really don't see what that has to do with my heritage or nationality. Last time I checked I was an American.


But what the heck let's try to bust a myth.


Is it possible to be a Republican without disgracing your heritage?


The Hispanic culture has always been conservative, believing in God, family and country.



As entrepreneurs and hard workers in pursuit of the American dream, many like my parents came to this great country of ours to create a better life not only for themselves but for their children.



Mexico's conservative political party; the Partido Acción Nacional (PAN) that generally supports minimal government intervention in the economy dates back to 1939.

Seems like "real Mexicans" have a rich history of conservatism.


Now I don't have a strong Spanish accent; I don't wear a sombrero or dance quebraditas.


I am a first generation American who served five years in the United States Marine Corps.


I love a good slice of pizza, a thick juicy burger but my favorite foods are lengua and barbacoa. My sister is known for having bar-b-ques for us in her back yard but the family gets together almost every Sunday to eat menudo.


I speak Spanish to my parents but my two sons are only about 35% bilingual. I think that should be higher considering my wife was born in Mexico. (I should have a talk with her about that.)


Does any of that make me more or less of anything? Absolutely not.


Many times we are not brown enough for one side yet too brown for the other.

I don't think anyone should judge me by the pigment of my skin.


I am what I am....


A Spanglish Speaking Conservative!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.